Keeping Up with the Cnidarians

Keeping Up with the Cnidarians


SCENE 1

NARRATOR
In the Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Cnidaria includes the group of soft bodied animals with stinging tentacles called “nematocysts”. Their symmetry is radial, and they mainly compose of having a mouth and stomach. They swim around and catch food in their marine habitat. They have three layers; the epidermis, which is the outer skin; the endoderm, which is their gut or stomach and their mouth; and the middle part is the jelly, the mesoglea. They kill their prey with nematocysts. Even if the animal is dead, the nematocysts still work because they are spring-loaded to fire off and stun the prey. There are three classes of Cnidarians: Hydrozoa, Scyphozoa, and Anthozoa. Today, we are going to have our first encounter with the three most famous Cnidarians.


SCENE 2

NARRATOR
We are about to see the home of one of the Cnidarians. This is an exclusive opportunity to get to see the life of an A-lister celebrity.


(cut to Hydra’s house)


HYDRA
(eating)
Wow. These days, I’ve been eating every single animal smaller than me within this freshwater pond I call “home”. Why do I have such a big appetite? Oh my god, I’m getting so fat. Should I go on a diet? I mean, at least I don’t look like my neighbour, Obelia. She looks like a branching tree... or a bush. Whatever. I’m Hydra Cnidarian, I’m free living and a member of the Hydrozoa class.
(continues to eat)
(Aurelia appears)


AURELIA
Sister, sister! Guess who’s here to visit!


HYDRA
Look what we have here! The one and only Aurelia Cnidarian! My dear Moon Jelly, how have you been?


AURELIA
As a member of the Schyphozoa class, I don’t want to lie to you coming from a “true jellyfish”. But I’ve honestly been feeling so bored of my life cycle. I am so hermaphroditic, but I won’t self-fertilize. Sexual reproduction has been the only trend for years, I feel like I need to experience something new.


HYDRA
You’re ridiculous. What are you even talking about? You literally sound like a starfish. Ew.


AURELIA
Excuse me? Who are you to judge? You should see yourself. You’re getting a little chubby. Maybe you should be more like me and stick to my main body plan, Medusa. As you can see, it works perfectly well.


HYDRA
What’s wrong with having Polyp as my main body plan? Coral has the is a colonial Polyp herself. Why don’t we go to Coral and ask her which one is better then? Let’s see what she says.


AURELIA
Fine. Whatever.


SCENE 2

-Coral’s house-
(Hydra and Aurelia enter)


CORAL
What the- what are you two doing here so abruptly?


HYDRA
My favourite sister, Coral Cnidaria! I’ve missed you. You barely keep in touch with us.


CORAL
There’s a reason I’m sessile... I like my alone time. So why are you guys here?


AURELIA
Well you see, I was saying how Medusa is a great body plan and that Hydra should try being more like me. Since she’s... always eating.


HYDRA
Polyp is fine! Am I right Coral?

(Coral remains silent)


CORAL
You two... really came all this way... just to ask me this?


HYDRA
Maybe...


CORAL
I think both of you are being irrational. I don’t have time to listen to you guys.


AURELIA
Why are you being so rude? Just because you’re part of the class Anthozoa and have an exoskeleton of calcium carbonate doesn’t make you the best.


CORAL
I’m one of the most amazing ecosystems. I support an entire ecosystem of life and stun my prey with my nematocysts.


AURELIA
Wow, you’re so special! To be honest, I think you’re the least interesting to look at.


CORAL
Aurelia, there are others that dying. I don’t think looks are the most important thing in the world. ABCDEFG. I have to go.


HYDRA
What does ABCDEFG mean...?


CORAL
It’s just a phrase I like to use. That means the conversation is over.

-end scene-


NARRATOR
What we thought was that we were only going to see one Cnidarian this episode, but the other two made their appearance sooner than we thought. Drama has stirred. There’s already tension in the air and it’s only the beginning. Stay tuned until next week for Episode 2!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature Reflection